Come and Showcase Your Awesome Creation at DTLA Mini Maker Faire!
DTLA Mini Maker Faire showcases the amazing work of all makers. From junior tinkerers to professional inventors, we welcome anyone who embraces the do-it-yourself (or do-it-together) spirit and wants to share their accomplishments and inspire an appreciative audience.
DTLA Mini Maker Faire Date & Location
- December 1, 2018 · 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Los Angeles Central Library, 630 West 5th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071
- Maker Applications Open: Friday, June 1, 2018
- Maker Applications Close: Monday, October 1, 2018 [Applications submitted after the close date will be reviewed, but are not guaranteed acceptance in the event.]
- Maker Orientations: To Be Announced
- Maker Load-In: Saturday, December 1, 2018 · 8 a.m.
- Maker Faire Event Date: Saturday, December 1, 2018 · 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Maker Load-Out: Saturday, December 1, 2018 · 4 – 5:30 p.m.
The DTLA Mini Maker Faire is a family-friendly event that brings together science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics (STEAM) along with craft, homesteading, music, workshops, and performances.
Aimed to inspire creative minds of all ages to further their passion for creation and making, last year’s Mini Maker Faire featured over 45 individual exhibits, performances, and presentations and attracted over 1800 guests. This year, with the venue expanding into the Maguire Garden located in front of the main library entrance, the DTLA Mini Maker Faire hopes to build on last year’s success and would be honored to have you as part of the effort to showcase what’s creative and innovative throughout the Los Angeles area.
Exhibits that highlight the process of making or are interactive are especially desired.
Tips and tricks when working on the application include:
- Read everything! We know it can be tempting to skip a line or two to get right into the application, but all the information is important to know, so please, read everything.
- Be as descriptive as possible about your project.
- Spellcheck! Especially your email address; email will be our primary source of communication. If your email is spelled incorrectly or has an extra space, you could miss your opportunity to show off at the Faire!
- Important: the “Project Photo” upload is a required field. If you do not have your project or prototype ready, you can upload your “work-in-progress” image, organization, groups, school/club logo, etc.
- If your project or prototype is ready, prepare good photos or video content, you can provide with your application.
- Do you have questions? – Just ask us! Reach out to us at email@example.com.
- Apply as an exhibitor, performer, or presenter.
- DTLA Mini Maker Faire is a completely free event for guests, exhibitors, performers, and presenters. Selling of products of any kind is prohibited during the event. However, distribution of business cards, organization brochures and/or literature is encouraged.
- Individual applicants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at the event.
- Read the City of Los Angeles General Liability Waiver.
- Application Deadline: Saturday, October 28, 2017. Please submit early so we can reserve space for your exhibit.
The first step to participating in the Maker Faire is to submit an entry that tells us about yourself and your project. Applications can be submitted from individuals; groups such as hobbyist clubs and schools; commercial makers or crafters; startups; and companies.
Here’s some suggested ideas for topics that we’re looking for:
- Wearables, E-Textiles, Fashion Tech
- Biology/Biotech and Chemistry Projects
- Homesteader & Domestic Arts
- Kinetic, Fire & Installation Art
- Digital Fabrication – 3D Printers, CNC, ETC
- Open Hardware Projects
- Design: Industrial, Fashion, Product, Urban
- Young Makers & School Maker Clubs
- Music Performance & Video/Film Productions
- Hacks of Any Sort
- Food Science
- Brewing Technology
- Foundry & Blacksmithing
- How-To Workshops, Panel Discussions and Presenters
- Electronic Projects
- Textiles and Arts and Crafts
- Sustainable Transportation
- Radios, Vintage Computers and Game Systems
- Bicycles and Human-Powered Machines
- Shelter (Tents, Domes, etc.)
- Unusual Tools or Machines
- How to Fix Things or Take them Apart (Vacuums, Clocks, Washing Machines, etc.)
- Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality
- Green or Clean Technology (air, water, soil, etc.)
Types of Exhibits
Maker Exhibit/Booth: Businesses, schools, groups, individuals, and organizations that would like to demonstrate what they make and/or how it works in an exhibit space; interactive exhibits are encouraged. For maker groups, please have one point person to coordinate your efforts.
The DTLA Mini Maker Faire provides exhibit space, tables, chairs, power, entry passes, etc., at no cost to the maker.
Presentations/Performance or Workshops: 25-minute or 50-minute time slots. It could be demos, stories, how-to’s, and group (panel) conversations. Individuals and groups who would like to talk about an idea or project of interest to the maker community, or makers who are interested in demonstrating what they make and how it works in a stage setting. Presentations are typically 25 or 50 minutes, with some time for Q&A. If you are applying on behalf of someone else, you’ll have the opportunity in the entry form to enter public-facing presenter information and remain the primary contact.
Other Ways to Participate
Volunteer: Please contact our Volunteer Engagement Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (213) 228-7490.